Sunday 29 January 2023

Light Watch #3

The call came tonight not more than five minutes after we'd returned to our cabin. 

I tugged on snow boots, grabbed a warm jacket, and joined around 80 other passengers on the top deck.

I don't know how long I'd have to do this before recognising the Aurora at first glance, but my first reaction after emerging into the bitter cold of night was that it was too cloudy to see anything.

But if that were true, why was everyone pointing their phones and cameras at the sky? No John, those aren't clouds. It's the faint trail of the Aurora. 

I didn't stay out long. It soon became obvious that any photos I took tonight would be no better than those I'd already taken. 

My equipment isn't really up to the task. Yes, a tripod would help, but on this occasion the ship was underway, and there was quite a bit of rocking. But the main problem is really the speed of the camera lens.

I'm hoping we'll have some of the best photos shared among the group. But for now these are what I have, and better than nothing. A memento of a memorable trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Through The Porthole - Day 16

And so, almost as if it never happened, we wake to the familiar sight of Dover Harbour, our phones reconnect to UK providers, at UK times, a...