Thursday 18 August 2022

Aggressive Gripping

One of the reasons we don't normally venture out in the snow and ice is an increasing fear, as we get older, of slipping and falling. It never used to bother me. The first time I went ice skating I fell over so many times I couldn't walk the next day. Couldn't even get out of bed, actually. I spent the whole morning stranded in my little student cot on the 17th floor of Owens' Park tower, only making the agonising trek across the landing when I "couldn't wait any longer." TMI, probably. Sorry.

But those days are long behind me. And the expedition is in front of us, with the likelihood of copious quantities of snow and equal amounts of ice, so Nikki set to with her amazing and unrivalled SearchSkillz™ and discovered: YakTrax.

The sales blurb says:
"Yaktrax Diamond Grip provides aggressive traction for all winter walking conditions, from slick, glassy ice to back country snow and everything in between."

I love that. "Aggressive traction". If you held these things in your hand you'd agree it's the perfect description. You can almost hear them growling. 

With heavy duty rubber (or whatever passes for rubber these days) straps, including a toggle at the back to help pull them on and off, these puppies mean business. The chains have teeth! You don't get much more aggressive than that. 

Easy to see why HG don't want you wearing them on the ship. There'd be no deck left!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Through The Porthole - Day 16

And so, almost as if it never happened, we wake to the familiar sight of Dover Harbour, our phones reconnect to UK providers, at UK times, a...